Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You may already be using Linux

Smart phones are everywhere now. Not everyone has a smart phone, but a lot of people do. And one of the most popular, and up and coming, systems for a smart phone is Android. While Android is not the top of the market yet (that I know of, but I might be wrong) it is rising quickly. A lot of people like their Android phones and a lot more people want an Android.

One of the reasons, in my opinion, that Android is so great is that it is Linux. Android is a Linux operating system developed by Google for cell phones. So if you, or someone you know, has an Android phone, and there are many to choose from, that is Linux. You may already be using it in your cell phone.

The Palm phones are Linux, too. As are the phones that are going to hit the market soon with webOS. Palm and webOS are Linux phone operating systems developed by Palm Pilot, and now being put out by HP.

I haven't used any of those because I am not ready for a smart phone. But when I am, I will be getting a phone that uses Android. It is not just because it is Linux, but it helps. Since it is Linux, I know that there is an entire community behind it, and that there will always be people helping to make it work.

Of course, a phone is not a home computer or a laptop. Android works for phones, not for full computers. So let's start getting Linux onto more computers, too. There are Linux distributions that will make your computer (desktop of laptop) run as well as your phone does on Android or webOS. Help spread the word about open-source computing (I'll give a better definition of that in a future post) and Linux operating systems. They work as well on computers as they do on phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment