Monday, October 4, 2010

While most versions of Linux are free, many people still feel intimidated by them. Unlike operating systems that come pre-installed when you buy a computer (with the exception of the few companies that sell Linux computers), Linux has to be installed. Usually this involves downloading the Linux distribution in the form of an ISO, or disk image, then burning the image onto a CD or DVD, and installing it onto your computer. Some distributions, like Ubuntu, have disks available for order, but others do not.

PeppermintOS, my personal favorite among the many Linux distributions, is still small, and even they offer disks. Linux Mint sells disks of their operating systems, but for someone who does not know Linux, all the different versions of Linux Mint, with different numbers and different desktop environments (I will explain what desktop environments are in a future post, for those who do not know), can be confusing. Where would you start and which one would you choose?

BlackMarket Computers in Colorado Springs, CO, can help. My company is legal, I just like the name. My main service is helping people choose a version of Linux that will do what they need it to do, then installing it for them. I can show people up to four different options (although I will usually show them only one or two) that I think will serve their needs. I will install the operating system, then show the new users how to download and install different programs they need, like a productivity suite (office, word, spreadsheet), an accounting program, etc.

This is not a service for computer gamers. Most of the popular games do still not work well, if at all, under Linux. But if you just surf the web, check email, do some social networking, and write an occasional paper or letter, then Linux can let you do that with a lot less hassle, and a lot less computer issues, than ever before.

Go to http://blackmarketcomputers.com to learn a little bit more (I have more info on the blog than the web site right now, this is a start-up company) or to email me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best with your business start up. I hope your venture to promote free and open software meets with every success.

    ReplyDelete