Friday, November 12, 2010

Colleges focusing on only one operating system

I'm a business major in college. I figured out that with what I want to to do for a living, a business degree will be better than a computer science degree.

The problem with being a business major in the United States is that the colleges here only recognize the existence of one operating system (okay, they do use Macs for certain programs, but not in the college of business). So for my degree program I am required to take a class that teaches how to use the components of a Windows computer system, unless I can test out of it this morning.

I have problems with that, both as a class and as a mindset. First as a class.

I know that most of the world is using Windows. And I know that most companies that business majors go to work for use that operating system. But I don't. I use Linux. That is all I will ever use again. I have installed over a dozen Linux operating systems, and I have used several others without installing them. I have tried out three or four (it is hard to keep track exactly) different types of Linux systems, from Ubuntu to Fedora to Salix. I am going to be building my own Linux operating system this winter (if you are interested, watch for an announcement here). And my business will not only run exclusively on Linux (even my web site is hosted on a Linux server) but is all about helping people make the move to Linux.

So I do not need to know the other operating system for work. I will not be using it. Which brings me to the whole mindset behind colleges teaching only that operating system. Already not everyone uses it. I do not even use their office suite. I am using Openoffice until Libreoffice is ready for prime time. It is free, it will do all the same things, and it works. So I do not need the expensive office suite that so much of the world seems tied to. But I have to take a class on it (actually another, because it was also required at the community college) unless I can test out of it.

And I have to know the components of the expensive operating system to test out of the class. I should do okay on the operating system, they are testing me on the version that I used for about two and a half years before I switched to Linux.

But whether I pass the test to skip the class or not, I still disagree with the school teaching only that operating system. And making the class about it mandatory for business majors. It is another piece of the domination of the computer world. And I do not think that they should be allowed to require that I take a class on a system I am never going to use again.

Update: So I passed the test to get out of the class. But I still think it is a horrible requirement, and a further detriment to our culture and country that Microsoft maintains such control and influence in our colleges and Universities.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fletcher, came across your post on PeppermintOS forum...good for you, I hope you give windows and everyone else a run for their money!
    I'm a very new Linux user, old-time Mac user, I can't (won't)say anything good about windows, as an operating system its the same old-same old CRAP in the version to version sense(Vista, I can't believe they got away with that hunk o trash)
    I think that you may find, as time goes by, many more people will join in getting away from windows and loving Linux.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete